Yousif Al-Amin, 129 TESS
Nam Prik Noom – (น้ำพริกหนุ่ม)
- 10-15 “Prik Noom” or Young Chilis
- 5-6 medium shallots
- 5 medium sized cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of cilantro/coriander
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp msg
- Turn heat on medium-low and place the chilis, shallots, and garlic directly on your pan. Do NOT put any oil on the pan! Cook for 5-10 minutes or until lightly charred all around.
- Note: you do not need to peel the shallots or garlic before roasting them!
- Remove the chilis, shallots, and garlic from the pan as they finish roasting. Some may take more time than others. Allow the chilis to rest for about 5 minutes before continuing to step 3.
- Cut the very end of the stem-side of the roasted chili and slowly pull the skin off, being sure not to remove any of the roasted inside. Cut the peeled, roasted chili into smaller pieces and throw it into a mortar and pestle. Do the same with the shallots and garlic.
- Smush your vegetables until they start to resemble a paste; this may take 5-10 minutes depending on the quantity. Wait until you start to get the correct consistency before adding the seasoning, otherwise you’ll make a mess trying to smush the paste!
- Add 1 tbsp fish sauce and 1 tsp msg. Taste and season additionally as needed.
- Serve with steamed vegetables, sticky rice, or eat on its own!
View previous episodes of Have Yous Eaten Yet?