Yousif Al-Amin, 129 TESS
Hummus – بالطحينة حُمُّص
- 3 cups chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup lemon/lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Olive oil
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil and add 3 cups of chickpeas. Either canned or dried chickpeas are fine; if using dried chickpeas, add baking soda when soaking to help separate the shell and speed up the boiling process.
- Check on chickpeas every few minutes and turn off heat once they are fully cooked and you are able to crush one between your fingers. This should take anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour.
- Strain chickpeas over a bowl and set aside the liquid from the pot for later use.
- Optional: remove skins at this point. This is not required but will make your hummus creamier.
- To a blender, add half of your boiled chickpeas, garlic, lime juice, salt, tahini, and as much or as little of the leftover liquid from earlier to your desired consistency. Blend until thick and creamy, slowly adding the remaining chickpeas.
- Add more salt or lime juice to taste.
- Serve in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Optional: sprinkle with ground paprika and cumin.
View previous episodes of Have Yous Eaten Yet?